10 October 2006

Belated plug for Performing Arts Series

I had meant to put in a plug for UMM's wonderful Performing Arts Series sometime before their first event, but that didn't happen. So I'll put in a belated plug for a really great opportunity. For a whopping $16 you can get a student season ticket for all five events, which is about the cost of a single movie and snacks out in the "real world".

Saturday they brought the National Players, who did a fine job with Shakespeare's Othello. I really liked what they did with their lighting and very simple set components that they were able to use and re-use in nifty ways. I saw several of you there, despite my lack of promotion (good!) - what did others think about the performance? Feel free to throw a comment on this post, or write about it on your blog.

The second event of this year's series is coming up a week for Saturday (the Saturday after fall break), with the Jawaahir Dance Company. They will also be doing workshops (as is true for many Performing Arts events) on Friday and Saturday, so you have a chance to meet with the performers and get involved. Our son, for example, thoroughly enjoyed the National Players' workshop on Stage Combat :-).

Again, I apologize for not being very active on-line in the last two weeks. My application for Full Professor (about 1.5 inches of paper :-( ) was due yesterday, and that really overtook way too much of my life. That's now done, however, and I can return to the much more interesting parts of the world such as this course!

No comments: