12 October 2006

Discussion summary for Oct. 10-13

Well we haven't really been having long class discussions in class this week and last due to performances and a trip to the library... so I just thought I could replay the performances we've had these past few weeks.
I think all of our performances have been really interesting and diversified. I learned something new with each one so they definately haven't been boring! I really liked watching sign language being performed and it made me want to learn it. The food that has been served in three of the performances (including my own) has been really good, and much appreciated since I rarely eat before class! I think all of the performances have really touched base on our roots music class with what this class is all about. I especially enjoyed today's performances as well. I didn't realize that the 'cotton-eyed-joe' song was actually really old. The only version I've ever heard is that techno one they played at middle school dances! And I really liked hearing about the meaning of what the lyrics stood for, because I've never really thought about what they meant. It kind of makes me think of other music I listen to now and look for other meanings that I may have never thought of. And Dan's trumpet playing was amazing! I really liked having the live music in class today. The banjo was also amazing! There's just something about hearing music live and seeing it being created that makes it all that much better! I definately plan on takin' a trip to Richfield to check out that store, maybe pick up a banjo... maybe!
Overall I think that our performances have been really different but tie into Roots Music really well. That just goes to show how one era of music can come from so many different backgrounds with so many spin offs!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.