28 August 2006

Hello, Babylon!

I just got an amazing 6 CD set of old gospel music (mostly from the 1920's and 30's, but some up to 1960) called Goodbye, Babylon on the very cool Dust-to-digital label. I ended up babbling on about it way too long on my blog, and rather than repeat all that here, I'll provide a thoroughly over the top quote and the link, and let you chase it down if you feel inclined.
There are some beloved old treasures ("Present joys", Blind Willie Johnson's devastating "Lord, I just can't keep from crying", and Carter Family gems) as well as tons of great stuff I've never heard before. One of the most impressive things about it is the sheer diversity and scope of the collection. Most collections tend to be fairly focused, but here Mahalia rubs shoulders with the Louvins (literally - one her songs immediately follows one of theirs) and the Stonemans share space with the Holy Ghost Sanctified Singers (an African-American gospel jug band!). I become incoherent in the face of all this wonderful music...

No comments: