31 August 2006

Let's all learn a song on the kazoo

Yup, I'm serious :-). I'm purchased enough kazoos for everyone, and I'll pass them out in class today. For next Tuesday (5 Sep), I'd like everyone to spend a little time "learning" a song ("L'Amour Indifferent (Careless love)" by Cleoma Breaux Falcon and Joe Falcon (freely available on-line). (I've chosen this because it's not overly complex and it avoids the crazy rhythms that make a lot of the cajun stuff pretty tough to learn. You might try a few other cajun songs just to get a sense of how tricky some of them can be.)

No one is expected to be virtuoso by Tuesday, and no one will have to perform solo. The idea is to have all 15 or 17 of us kazoo along in the classroom as a mass kazoo orchestra. So go through the song a 3 or 4 or 5 times, happily kazooing along until you have the basic structure sorted out. We'll then put all that together in class and see what happens. It almost certainly won't be high art, but it ought to be a heck of a lot of fun!

2 comments:

David said...

Boy I wish i was in your class!

Unknown said...

Dan Flaaen,
http://dano1421.blogspot.com/