03 September 2006

What movie would you like to watch at our house?


So the movie night at our house is a week from today, and we need to start doing some planning. Questions that need answering include:
  1. Are you planning on coming? (So we can plan appropriate amounts of pizza.)
  2. What are your pizza preferences? Veggie? Carnivore? Can't stand olives?
  3. What movie (related to the class in some way) would you like to watch?
As I mentioned in class, we've watched O Brother, where art thou? in the past to great success. I'm very fond of Schultze gets the blues and it fits really nicely with Governor Blanco's visit and the cajun music we've been listening to. Our son really wants to (re)watch Dave Chappelle's Block Party, which one can certainly connect to the course if one twists things a bit (I do really like the way he connects hip-hop to jazz and blues); we don't own a copy of that, though, so it we'd have to do a bit of scrambling to ensure that we have one here if that's what people want to watch. And I have a ton of documentaries on different genres of roots music, including a pretty amazing film made about music in South Africa under apartheid.

Also, feel free to throw other suggestions into the mix (our son certainly did!). I'll (mostly) let you folks decide as long as there's some connection to the course.

Also, a reminder that two cats lived here with us up until recently, so people with allergies should take appropriate steps.

Use the comments for this post to discuss away! Also, feel free to contact me directly (e.g., office or e-mail) if you don't feel like posting your preferences here.

16 comments:

Lindsey said...

Hi
I plan on coming. I would like pepperoni pizza, any other topping other than onions and peppers. O Brother, Where art thou sounds like a good movie to me, but I would watch any.
Lindsey Z

Ashley Gorski said...

I may be able to come after practice, and I plan on it even if I do show up a bit late...
I have no preference for pizza or a movie! I'll eat most any kind pizza, and I'll watch most any movie!

Nic McPhee said...

A little late is definitely better than never! We've definitely had people come late, or leave early, because of other commitments, so that's no problem at all. We'll save some pizza for you :-).

Culture Jammer said...

Hi, I'm going home this weekend so I'm not sure if I can make it, it depends on whether I come back sunday morning or monday morning. if i do come, I love O Brother Where Art Thou and prefer cheese pizza but am also okay with picking off the meat if I'm the only one.
-christina

Unknown said...

I'am also going home this weekend, but I plan on being back. Also I like really any kinda of pizza, just not with mushrooms on it. Also I have never scene O brother so I'm game for it.
Dan

BradyO'Rourke said...

I should be there and have no preference on food/movie.

-Brady

The Little Rabbit said...

I, Micheal Zajicek, Will most likely be attending. I like meat pizza and cheese pizza, but no olives or mushrooms for me. As for the movie O brother where art thou sounds good. Although I think we should watch This Is Spinal tap. But thats a mockumentery of rock music... so whatever. I got it if anyone wants to watch it some other time...

Nic McPhee said...

It's look like O Brother is pulling the massive votes so far, so speak up if you would prefer something else! :-)

Spinal Tap is indeed an excellent film and would be an excellent choice for another movie night. (The same people also made a folk music spoof that's supposed to be really good, but I've never seen it.)

An important point is that this does not have to be the only movie night, so speak up if you'd like to see something like this happen again.

Laura said...

I will plan on being there. I like pineapple or cheese pizza. So basically don't order pineapple if no one else likes it. Also, is it ok if I bring some popcorn for everyone? ;)

Nic McPhee said...

You can definitely bring popcorn, but I suspect we can provide some as well :-).

Kelsey Jo said...

I think I will be there on sunday.. i dont really have a super big preference on pizza, i like everything... that goes for the movie as well...

Mary Beth said...

I'm planning on coming, pepperoni pizza sounds good to me (other than that green peppers/ mushrooms also good). Any movie would be fine-O Brother Where are thou is good... -Mary Beth

Laura said...

Haha, I was just kidding about the popcorn!

emily said...

I'm planning on attending. Meatless pizza would be grand; I don't not like vegetables, but plain cheese is A-okay. I'm fine with any movie. But Christopher Guest would be awesome. (A Mighty Wind is the folk-ish one.) That German one sounded kind of cool, but so did O Brother Where Art Thou. Maybe Walk the Line? But, as I said, any movie is fine.

Culture Jammer said...

I won't be able to make it tomorrow, I'm in Duluth for the weekend and am not coming back until Monday morning.

Ruby X said...

Hey, I'm coming... this is a little late, sorry about that-
I have no preference... in fact, I rarely think.

-Ruby